3 States in 3 weeks! 1,339 miles! Hard to believe 3 weeks ago I was in self-inflicted chaos over last-minute details before the launch, and today I’m a third of the way done with the Ride.
The red rocks ended so abruptly it was as if they knew the Utah/Colorado border was approaching. As soon as we crossed the state line, the scenery immediately changed from red rocks and canyons to farms and small towns. So small, that we would miss them if we blinked. (So small in fact that my cell coverage changes by the block and is making it impossible to upload any pictures…)
85 miles of Rolling Hills to Dolores CO
Not a mountain in sight and yet I climbed almost 6,000 feet today! 85 miles of rolling hills. Made it to a Boulder-like town called Dolores CO at the foot of the mountain. The pass I’ll be climbing to on Sunday is called “Lizard Pass” at 10,600 feet on my way to Telluride.
Pete and Zon Rae
I met Pete and Zon Rae who were on vacation from Washington State. Pete’s job is to find chemical leaks in the environment for the government. He loves loves working with companies to resolve the leaks instead of hauling them into court. He prided himself on being the antithesis of Erin Brokovich.
Pete’s wife, Zon Rae has been analyzing blood in a lab for 26 years. When I asked her what she loves about her job, she responded, “I used to love it. But now technology has made me a robot. I don’t have any connection to patients at all. I am not needed to analyze anything. I just make sure the machines are working properly.” She seemed disheartened and resigned.
- Sign at the border: “Colorado Welcome Center 34 miles” (they want you to be really committed before welcoming you!)
- Sign: “Deer Crossing – Next 30 miles” (I knew my road kill count would be high today!)
- Sign: “Buying Deer & Elk Antlers” (when you want to bag the road kill but make a few dollars off of it at the same time (to pay for the deer bag, of course))
- Store: “Dusk to Dawn Taxidermy” (when you want to display the road kill at any hour of the night)
- Dolores River Festival – young crowd dancing to live band and drinking heavily (a far cry from the LDS-influenced dry town of Blanding, UT last night)
- “80 degrees” on the bank thermostat at 6:15pm (a far cry from the snow at Carson Pass or the 28 degrees in Bryce a few days ago)
- Me in a sleeveless biking top and biking shorts (a far cry from 5 layers on top + 3 on bottom to weather the 22 degrees at Sandy Hook NJ with Chuck in Feb)
Day 21 Stats:
Day 21 Miles: 85.21
Total mileage: 1,339.89
Day 21 Ascent: 5,928 ft
Day 21 Descent: 4,622 ft
Total interviews: 37
Road kill count: 146
Destination for Day 22: Telluride, CO (after a 50-mile climb up Lizard Pass!)